Wednesday 22 July 2020

Zachary Levi Values Mental Health as Much as Physical Health

Zachary Levi’s breakthrough role as Shazam in 2019 brought him a lot of attention, and while many were paying attention to his physique and physical health, Levi chose to divert that attention to mental health. Levi doesn’t shy away from talking about his own experiences with mental health, telling a New York Comic Con crowd about the importance of bringing mental health and illness out of the shadows. “Sunlight is the best disinfectant,” he told fans.


Levi believes that to destigmatize mental illness “we need to be talking about it all the time,” he said. “And we need to make mental health and wellness as important as our physical well-being.”

Levi traces his experience with depression back to 2015 when his mother died, this during a year that brought the actor some professional disappointments and a divorce after less than a year of marriage. He kept his feelings to himself, however, and as he told the British magazine square mile: “Ultimately I found myself with nothing left a year later. Just so gnarly. It was like, ‘I’ve got to go take care of myself.’”


Levi found a way out of the darkness, however. At the age of 37 he decided to “figure out why I was unhappy—and I was, I was super unhappy…and…at the root of all of it, was that I never learned how to love myself. I never understood what it was to value my own life,” he told the magazine.

Levi is now among the many mental health ambassadors spreading the message of self love and hope, and reminding us that mental health and well being is every bit as important as physical health.


Looking for some health related reads? Visit our online library at Hubbelt for a wide variety of ebooks, audiobooks, music, and more. Accessible anytime, anywhere, from your favorite devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment